2021 Swim Team FAQ
Do you have to be able to swim? Not entirely, but getting halfway across the pool, even struggling, is a good start. We have outstanding coaches and they will give an honest assessment of whether or not the team swimming environment is a good fit.
Do you have to be a member of the Kroc Center? No, no membership is required. If you are interested in joining to gain access to the entire facility, a summer membership is available. See details.
What color suits do the swimmers need to wear? Solid black for competition.
Is the 4-18 age limit a firm age limit? Yes
Are there any practice requirements? No
How many meets or practices do swimmers need to attend? As many practices and meets as you want. We encourage swimmers to make practice as often as possible, many of our families take vacations during the summer. Some swimmers are there every day, and others a couple times during the week. Usually, swimmers are required to attend a minimum of three meets to qualify for Divisionals in August. but due to COVID restrictions this is waived summer of 2021.
What if we're not sure if swim team will be a good fit for my child? We offer one trial week and Coaches will work with swimmers and give you an assessment by the week's end. There are no refunds after the first swim meet.
What required items do I have to buy?
- Suits: Our team suit is a solid black suit. Suits can be purchased on your own or Aquawear on Laskin Rd. Team suits are not required but we do ask that each swimmer have a team swim cap.
- Caps: Caps can be purchased for $10 during registration or at any practice. It is against VBSL policy to wear a cap featuring a year round team, a college team, or a high school team. Please show your Lionfish pride! Visit the Resource Page for more suit information.
- Googles: We recommend swimmers invest in at least two (2) pairs of racing goggles to participate in practice and meets - having a spare is always helpful!
How much parent involvement is there?
Parent volunteers are essential for the smooth operation of swim meets, both home and away. Although not required, we appreciate any help you can provide. Some positions require special training prior to the start of the season. Information and dates of training are available under the Resource tab. Plenty of other opportunities will be posted once the season begins.
What do I bring to a Meet?
- Team Swim Suit
- Googles (two pairs)
- Towels or blankets
- Tent or Shade Cover and Chairs
- Cards, Games, things to keep them busy!
- Money for concession stands
- Heat Sheet
- Snacks and Water
- Electronics may be brought, but swimmers are responsible for securing and storing devices.
What COVID mitigation strategies are in place?
As state and CDC guidelines change, we will communicate updates through email and the GroupMe app. We are asking only one parent join their swimmer at practice. Please enter and exit through the side patio. Swimmers will be assigned a lane to swim at each practice to help mitigate exposure and help with contact tracing, should the need arise. Additional information specific to the Kroc center is available on their website.